SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT...

“Children, I said to her. For the first little while, they not exactly human, you don't find?”
Nalo Hopkinson

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Substitute Me Lori E. Tharps.

Substitute Me tells its story from the perspective of its main characters Zora, Kate, and  Brad.  African American, middle-class Zora has been hired by white, yuppie couple Kate and Brad to care for their seven month old son Oliver.  Classes and cultures clash as stereotyping takes its effect.  Both women have a need for one another and their connection creates unforseen, but predictable circumstances.

This book is a moving and enjoyable read.  It really made me think about how women relate to one another and how class and race alter the way we see people that we believe are different from us.

I think this would be a great book for book clubs.  There are some questions for book clubs to start with in the back of the novel.  There will definitely be plenty to discuss. 9/11/10

4 comments:

  1. Hi Judaye,

    Thanks for reviewing Substitute Me. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I too hope book clubs read it and discuss the issues within. That's why I wrote it, to spark conversations and get people talking. I'm trying to change the world, one book at a time.

    Lori L. Tharps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you certainly have me thinking about how I categorize people and what living in a false reality could be doing to my life. So you have caused some change here. Thanks for writing the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to select Substitute Me when it's my turn at Book-a-licious Book Club. Sounds like a good read. Thanks for suggesting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Ms. Walker. The books brings to mind a lot of questions about interracial and hetereosexual relationships. And mother/child too. I need to find a book club somewhere so I can discuss some of these issues!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?