SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT...

“Children, I said to her. For the first little while, they not exactly human, you don't find?”
Nalo Hopkinson

Monday, March 14, 2011

My TBR Pile

I think Jake is kind of irritated with me because next to our bed is an ever-changing, never-shrinking pile of magazines, newspaper clippings, copies of articles, and books.  Every once in a while he trips over them, but he doesn't say anything.  Hee hee.  I just like to pick with that man.


The books are there because I am actually reading all of them.  Like many people, I read many books at one time.  I get bored and want something completely different or some days I end up wandering to the book shelf and irresistibly drawn in.  In fact, I just thought of something else I want to read right now.


As of today this is a part of the pile:

Novel and Stories by Shirley Jackson.  I never read The Haunting of Hill House and I am loving it.

There Goes My Everything by Jason Sokol.  I wanted to read this a few years ago but never got around it.  It is about how the civil rights movement affected and changed the lives of white people in the south.

Stories and Legends.  Leo Tolstoy.

Substitute Me.  Lori L. Tharps. 
This is a re-read for me.  I am trying to understand why the main character does what she ends up doing.

The Classic Illustrated Sherlock Holmes.  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. 
I just love the who done its.

A String of Expression: Techniques For Transforming Art and Life Into Jewelry.  June Roman

Dubliners.  James Joyce.
I need to re-read "The Dead" because I want to write about it.

The County Of The Pointed Firs.  Sarah Orne Jewett.
This woman writes my heart.  I just love her.

Oxford Pocket Dictionary.

Oprah Magazine February 2011.

The Abyss.  Orson Scott Card.  I am addicted to him.

The Little Red Writing Book.  Brandon Royal.  Truly forgot this book was down there.

An article on "The Dead."

Washington Post Magazine July 4, 2010.

There is more but I don't want to type it all.  I have another pile in the livingroom.

Invisible Man.  Ralph Ellison.  This is a book I am supposed to have read.  I am considering it.

Healing Wise.  Susun S. Weed.  This is to help me with my chronic health problems.

Meridian.  Alice Walker.  This is also on my list of book I am supposed to be reading.

Oil and Water and Other Things That Don't Mix: Anthology to raise  funds to aid the Gulf Coast clean up.  Assorted authors.  Edited by Zetta Brown and Nicky Wheeler-Nicholson Brown.  Proceeds from this book go to the Bay Area Food Bank and the Mobile Baykeeper.

Silences.  Tillie Olsen.  I found this at the Goodwill and wanted to read it.

I just have too many books or can one ever have too many?  Jake thinks I do.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there J!

    So sorry to have been AWOL for such a long time - and I hope you're feeling much better these days. (I struggle with some health problems too, though asthma isn't one of them.)

    Loving your list of reading material - I'm like you that way, although right now, I don't have anyone to either complain about it or add to the stacks of stuff.

    I just finished a book on Brazilian music and dance called "Rhythms of Resistance" (a bit textbook-like but very good), and am now concentrating on The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures in Narnia by Laura Miller (you might like this one a lot; it's as much about reading and writing as it is about the Narnia books themselves) and am thinking about either reading some Jane Austen or else re-reading Vikram Seth's novel A Suitable Boy, which is huge but very, very good. (Although I think I need to check on some material about the time period; there were things I missed when I read it before, as I don't know that much about India.)

    I also just read a very engaging book by William Dalrymple called City of Djinns: A Year In Dehli. He's a great travel writer, because he concentrates on getting to know people and telling their stories - his latest, Nine Lives, is one of the best books I've read in a long time. (Accounts of the lives of nine people in India; much more keyed into women than his earlier books - several of the main narratives in Nine Lives are about women.)

    Hoping the pollen season isn't getting you down... and missing Washington/B'more right now, since performances like the one you talked about a few posts back just don't exist in these parts. ;)

    all the best (and same email address!),
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I get the chance I want to read Nine Lives too. It sounds very interesting. I love to see the world from other people's perspectives.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?