SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT...

“Children, I said to her. For the first little while, they not exactly human, you don't find?”
Nalo Hopkinson

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Readathon Post Number Two

I have been continuing to read the 2006 memoir Unbowed by Wangari Maathai.  After graduating from a Catholic high school in Kenya, she had the opportunity to come to the United States in 1960 as a part of the Kennedy airlift that flew several hundred Kenyans to college in America.  Maathai majored in biology at a Benedictine woman's college name of Mount St. Scholastica in Atchison, Kansas.  After graduating in 1964 she attended the University of Pittsburgh to obtain the Masters of Science degree in January 1966.  During her time in the U.S. President Kennedy was assassinated and the Civil Rights Movement was in full swing.

President Obama's father tried to get on the same airlift but was not chosen for it.  He ended up getting a scholarship from the University of Hawaii.  Obama's mother's side of the family was from Kansas.  Just a couple of interesting coincidences.

I started rereading The Dark Abode by Sarojini Sahoo. I had read about a third of it last year, but I think I need to start from the beginning again.  This book was originally published in 2005 in Oriya and translated into English in 2009.

In the forward Sahoo asks the reader if the protagonist Kuki is representative of the Uma part of Shiva which I understand to mean the feminine part of the all understanding God.  That is the question I will be asking myself as I continue.

3 comments:

  1. They sound like an interesting pair; I like it when my reading choices align (whether deliberately or "accidentally"). One of the books that I was considering reading for today is a novel (Camilla Gibb's The Beauty of Humanity Movement) that I read 100 pages of last year and will now need to start over with too. Why do we do that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem is I try to read too many books at once. The Dark Abode has to be read on the computer because I can't find the book in English. Since I prefer sitting in my favorite chair I didn't get around to finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judaye continuing...I will also be asking myself what the dark abode is.

    Most of my books have all kinds of scribbles in the margins so when I go back to them I can see what I thought about the last read. With this book on the computer I am writing my notes in a paper notebook that indicates the pages. It's kind of weird for me but it will have to do for now.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?