SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT...

“Children, I said to her. For the first little while, they not exactly human, you don't find?”
Nalo Hopkinson

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Has This Ever Happened To You?


I read a wide variety of books:
Fiction and Non-fiction.
Science Fiction and Mystery.
Short Stories and Poetry.
Classic and Contemporary.
Young Adult and Children's.
Fantasy.

There is always a book of some sort in my hands. Reading is what I do.  It's always been that way.

At a school where I worked, one of the teachers said in my presence, making certain her voice was heard:

"I like to read stuff like Jody Picoult, but none of that serious stuff like some people do.  I'm no literature person like some people claim to be."

I was shocked.  At the time I didn't know what to say, so I just looked at her and walked away.

First of all, I 've never claimed to be anything except a woman who likes to read, and I never said anything to anyone in that school about books, unless someone engaged me in conversation about a book they were reading or if they asked what I was reading.  For the most part, my love of reading was known because whenever I had a break, I read.  You know how it is.  I'm always behind on my TBR list and trying to catch up.

Next, what I do with my spare time is none of that woman's business.  In fact, it's no one's business but my nosy family's and one very dear old friend, and mine of course.

Finally, if that chick wanted to read more interesting and well written books, all she had to do was pick up a book and start.

That's not the only time something like that happened to me.

Has something like this ever happened to you?  Are people intimidated by or resentful of how much you read or what you read?  Do some people think you're a book snob?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?